Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Mary Connealy's "Too Far Down" - the conclusion to the Cimarron Legacy

Too Far Down (The Cimarron Legacy, #3)In the final Cimarron Legacy book, we finally find out who is trying to steal the Bodens' ranch and destroy their family . . . but not before an explosion goes off at the Boden mine, where Cole is in charge. Cole has always been divided over his love for Boston and his love for New Mexico, and he has to admit there's a some significant things keeping him here--his family, the mine, and, well, just maybe their old friend and playmate, Melanie Blake, who can ride, shoot, and hogtie just as well as any man in the territory, and who seems intent on helping him track down the perpetrator of the explosion. But in the end, if they all survive and meet the stipulations of their not-yet-deceased father's will, what will he choose?

As usual, Mary Connealy starts off with a bang--though literally this time, not just figuratively. Poor Cole Boden just can't catch a break, between the healing gunshot wound in a previous book, to now dynamite explosions and cave-ins. I probably should have reread the whole series so I could be all caught up again with the plot--the villain really has been playing a long game to take control of the CR, and while I recalled most of it, I'd have made the connections faster if I'd reread. The books in this series are a lot more connected than has been typical in the author's series, which is fitting, given the family legacy theme. I definitely recommend starting reading with book 1. Strike that--the prequel. I'm going to enjoy rereading the series, especially now that I can pick up on hints I might not have noticed before!

I wouldn't have minded if Chase had made plans to take Mel out East for just a vacation or honeymoon, so she could experience that side of him--it really is a part of him. Though I must say he makes the correct decision in choosing his permanent residence. That is without question.

Once again, I loved how Connealy ties back in characters from other series - it's quite a pleasure to see a certain crazy man again, participating in (or causing?) the funniest part of the book. I think I'll have to go back and reread the entire 3 connected series (Kincaid Brides, Trouble in Texas, and Cimarron Legacy).

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for a free e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Kincaid Brides--Trouble in Texas--Cimarron Legacy connected series:

Prequel: "Closer than Brothers: Surviving Andersonville" (published in With This Kiss Historical Collection of e-novellas)

Kincaid Brides
1. Out of Control
2. In Too Deep 
3. Over the Edge

Trouble in Texas
1. Swept Away 
2. Fired Up
3. Stuck Together

"Runaway Bride" (novella published in With This Ring?)

"The Tangled Ties that Bind" (novella published in Hearts Entwined)

Cimarron Legacy
0.5 "The Boden Birthright" (free novella prequel)
1. No Way Up
2. Long Time Gone
3. Too Far Down

No comments:

Post a Comment