Monday, October 30, 2017

"A Dangerous Legacy" by Elizabeth Camden -- a thrilling historical

A Dangerous Legacy (Empire State, #1)Lucy Drake's position as a telegrapher has been vital in a 40-year legal battle that started with her grandfather and his brother and has continued down the generations. However, what she's doing isn't strictly legal, and when Sir Colin Beckworth, who manages their professional rivals just downstairs, catches her, they agree to help each other out. Putting aside the rivalry of their news agencies and the differences in their respective cultures, they find themselves enjoying each other far more than expected, but their pursuit of her family's stolen inheritance leads them down a dangerous path, both personally, and for the country.

One thing that has always impressed me is Camden's use of unusual professions, and when a character has a profession, it is important. It isn't just something she assigns to round them out as a character, it's integral to the plot, and it's integral to their person. Lucy as a telegrapher? Her skills are vital and stemming from a love of being connected with the world. Her brother Nick as a plumber, working in the city's underground? There's way more a plumber can do than you'd expect. Colin as a penniless aristocrat with a love of news and homing pigeons? It's what gives them an edge.

I love Camden's ability to surprise me. Several things that I'd expected, based on what would be worst-case scenario in my mind, didn't happen--instead, they led to a twist that I loved, where Lucy and Colin and Nick have an opportunity to be smart, not just brave. I wish I could tell you the brilliant things that happen, but it would spoil the plot. Suffice to say, I loved it all the twists this suspense has taken. And extra points for mature, intelligent heroes who apply to the law for help and use their heads!

While I have always enjoyed Elizabeth Camden's books, this one ranks up there with my favorites--The Rose of Winslow Street and Against the Tide (to which I would liken this one to in terms of the feel of the suspense and intelligence-gathering). The faith element might be minor, but it doesn't mean Colin and Lucy are without considerable growth. It's a great story, and I'm excited to see Nick will have his story continued in A Daring Venture (summer 2018).

Thank you Bethany house and NetGalley for a free e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Empire State
1. A Dangerous Legacy
2. A Daring Venture
3. A Desperate Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment