Friday, October 13, 2017

Denise Hunter's "Blue Ridge Sunrise"

Blue Ridge Sunrise (Blue Ridge Romance #1)Coming back to Georgia for the first time in five years, Zoe discovers that she's inherited her grandmother's peach farm. Everyone in her hometown expects her to stay and run it, while her boyfriend Kyle expects her to sell it and return to their singing career in Nashville with him. But Granny's farm was the one place she's always been happy, even if it also holds memories of her first love, Cruz Huntley--and her broken heart. As tension ramps up between her and her boyfriend--as well as Cruz--will Zoe regain the courage to choose for herself what's best?

During the story we get a fairly long flashback sequence of Zoe and Cruz's relationship, including the answer to the fairly big question of how Zoe ended up with Kyle instead. I definitely liked Zoe's adult self better than her irresponsible teenage self, though I didn't ever really connect with her--maybe it was too many personality changes (between the beginning, the flashback, and the end). Who I really liked was her best friend Hope--I'm glad to see the next book will feature her! She makes a great best friend, and I look forward to learning more of her story. And, for that matter, I really liked Zoe's brother (particularly as a great candidate for Hope).

While this isn't a thriller, there is some suspense towards the end. Apparently I psyched myself out (probably from reading too many actual suspense novels) into thinking that the obvious villain couldn't possibly be behind the arson; I had another perpetrator all picked out, motive determined and everything--but it turns out that I far, far overthought things.

There wasn't much of a faith message in this book, especially not compared to certain others by the author, though the characters (especially their poorer choices) felt realistic to today's society. It definitely was not my favorite of Hunter's novels, but still a solid romance.

Thank you Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for a free e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Blue Ridge Romance
1. Blue Ridge Sunrise
2. Honeysuckle Dreams
3. On Magnolia Lane (November 2018)

Related novel:
Sweetbriar Cottage

No comments:

Post a Comment