Friday, April 7, 2017

"To the Farthest Shores" by Elizabeth Camden

To the Farthest Shores  -     By: Elizabeth Camden
Thanks to his unusual upbringing and language skills, Lt. Ryan Gallagher was chosen for a secret overseas mission that destroyed his reputation and broke his beloved Jenny Bennett's heart. When Ryan returns six years later, Jenny is unprepared to deal with the emotions of his return, and due to the secrecy of the mission, Ryan can't share why he left her. Now he believes he may have found the solution to his situation, which would put him back in the States for good, but it means bringing Jenny and her nursing skills in to help. But will she be willing to face the heartache of working with him?

I have to say, the book didn't go in the direction I'd expected from reading the back blurb (which, by the way, accurately describes the book--I just interpreted it incorrectly). There was less suspense than I'd anticipated, but it was balanced by interesting subject matter. I greatly enjoy learning about different cultures, and the Japanese aspect is an interesting twist. Camden never fails to bring out in depth new and interesting topics--especially cultures--in her books.

I have to admit, I really liked Finn; maybe not as much in the beginning, but he grew on me. Ryan was a great guy--dense as all get-out, though sweet--but Finn has the harder road to travel and the most growth. He comes mighty close to upstaging Ryan. I would nominate him for best supporting (though not always supportive) character. And as much as I liked him, I also appreciated his decidedly non-romantic relationship with Jenny. They're fun to watch together because of their professional relationship, though I'd say it comes closer to friendship by the end.

There wasn't as much of a spiritual thread in this book as in others, though there is a lot about working through forgiveness--both of others and of self.

For the record, I will gladly take a book about Finn. Can't resist a good spy.

Thank you Bethany House for providing a free book. No review, positive or otherwise, was required, and all opinions are my own.

Since it came up, here are some of Camden's other multicultural novels:
Romanian - The Rose of Winslow Street
Greek - Against the Tide
Polish - Into the Whirlwind
Dutch - Until the Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment