Monday, October 31, 2016

Susan May Warren's "Wild Montana Skies"

Wild Montana Skies #1When Search and Rescue helicopter pilot Kacey Fairing returns to her hometown following a traumatic tour in Afghanistan, she doesn't want to relive her past mistakes. However, it turns out her childhood sweetheart--and father of her teenage daughter--is home from Nashville, helping his injured dad. Ben King is in a slump in his singing career, and coming home gives him a much-needed escape. But working with the woman who broke his heart is not what he'd been planning on. Nor is the news that she assumed he knew thirteen years ago, a revelation that changes everything for him . . .


I enjoyed the sense of outdoor adventure, with the massive flooding and needing to rescue stranded hikers from the wilderness. I have always enjoyed stories of wilderness survival, and while this one isn't quite that desperate, I can feel the potential for it somewhere in the series.

I've found that I really like stories of reconciliation--where a couple with a past is thrown back together and must find a way to work through what separated them in the first place. It's a wonderful example in world where divorce is so common. I can just imagine the dismay Kacey feels as she watches her daughter following the exact same path she did in her teen years--sneaking off to the same places, being there to rescue her crush, taking comfort from him when her world explodes.

As much as I enjoyed Kacey and Ben's story, I found myself more fascinated with Sierra and Ian's (and then learned after the fact that there's a prequel novella that tells more background on them). And they're definitely what will keep me coming back, since, well, let's just say, not all is wrapped up for them.

Thank you Revell for providing a free book to review; I was not required to make the review positive, and all opinions are my own.

Montana Rescue
0.5: "If Ever I Would Leave You"
1. Wild Montana Skies
2. Rescue Me
3. A Matter of Trust
4. Troubled Waters
5. Storm Front
6. Wait for Me (November 2018)

No comments:

Post a Comment