Friday, July 10, 2015

Patricia Bradley's "Gone Without A Trace"

Gone without a TraceIn the the third Logan Point suspense novel, homicide detective Livy Reynolds has been teetering on the brink of unfit for duty since she shot a teen in the line of duty a couple months earlier. Just when she is forced to take leave from her job, a private investigator from Texas shows up looking for a missing girl--a girl whose disappearance is eerily similar to Livy's cousin Robyn's disappearance a couple years earlier. Given a second shot at finding Robyn, Livy teams up with Alex, in spite of bearing a law enforcer's stereotypical dislike for PI's. But can they find the missing girl--and what happened to Robyn--before it's too late?

I enjoyed that this book is devoted to a mystery that had been introduced in the first book of the series, though it has not been a focus until now. It finally provides closure for all the main characters of the series, as (if I remember the relationships correctly) the missing Robyn is sister-in-law of Taylor (Shadows of the Past), cousin of Ben (A Promise to Protect), and cousin of Livy.

Though Livy and Alex are billed as the main characters, there are other characters with almost as much focus as them. I'm still trying to decide how I feel about that; part of me would have preferred it to be split into two books so each could have their own separate story, but on the other hand, it fit well this way and made sense. Maybe I'm just afraid that this is the last book in the series.

Given that the story takes place in less than two weeks, the romance moves a little fast. And I'm still not sure how the image of the striking hawk actually connected with the villain, but I may have been reading too fast and just missed it. However, the mystery of the villain's identity kept me guessing until the end, and the suspense was intense.

Thank you Revell for providing a free book for review; I was not required to make the review positive, and all opinions are my own.

Logan Point
1. Shadows of the Past
2. A Promise to Protect
3. Gone Without a Trace
4. Silence in the Dark

No comments:

Post a Comment