Friday, November 6, 2015

Janice Thompson's "Every Girl Gets Confused" - both entertaining and applicable

Cover Art
In the second Brides With Style novel, all is going swimmingly for Katie Fisher--new boyfriend, new job, new city. Except that Brady needs another surgery on his knee, and he's closing her out. Her mom is bugging her to come back home. And her ex-boyfriend suddenly seems to have forgotten he's an EX. With pressure coming from all directions, and not a little on her plate, it's no wonder Katie's a bit confused . . .

While I was figuring on a funny story (and don't get me wrong, it was!), I had not anticipated something so applicable to my life, which made for a rather more reflective story than I'd expected.

I really liked the aspect of Brady's surgery and depression (not that I was happy for him, but I thought it was well written and true to life). Having been in Katie's place supporting the man one loves as he struggles with not being able to do the job he wants, I could really sympathize with her. As I have also learned in life, it demonstrates how important dreams and careers are for our men, and subsequently, how our important our support is to them, even when it's hard to know what he really needs to pull him from depression or how to encourage him without it making him more depressed.

And the talk about seasons of life. Could there be anything more apropos? I feel like we've finally just started moving out of the above season.

Getting on to less personal matters, there's a lot of truth to the story in that feelings are not always so easy to sort out as romances generally depict. They're messy. Even if you have found someone new whom you love very much, that doesn't necessarily stop you from having feelings for someone you used to love. Just because Katie is committed to Brady doesn't mean twenty years of friendship with Casey never happened.

And oh my word, there are some hilarious--and some horrifying (in a humorous way)--scenes in this story. (Blue-tooth soap opera, oh my.) And images that won't be leaving my mind any time soon. Definitely entertaining.

Thank you Revell for providing a free book in exchange for a review. I was not required to make the review positive, and all opinions are my own.

 Brides With Style
1. Every Bride Needs a Groom
2. Every Girl Gets Confused
3. Every Bride Has Her Day 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment