Wednesday, April 24, 2024

The British Booksellers by Kristy Cambron

A tenant farmer’s son had no business daring to dream of a future with an earl’s daughter, but that couldn’t keep Amos Darby from his secret friendship with Charlotte Terrington . . . until the reality of the Great War sobered youthful dreams. Now decades later, he bears the brutal scars of battles fought in the trenches and their futures that were stolen away. When the future Earl of Harcourt chose Charlotte to be his wife, she knew she was destined for a loveless match, having given her heart to another long ago. Twenty-five years later, Charlotte remains a war widow who divides her days between her late husband’s declining estate and operating a quaint Coventry bookshop, with Amos nothing more than the rival bookseller across the lane. As war with Hitler looms, Charlotte's daughter is determined to preserve her father’s legacy. So when an American solicitor arrives threatening a lawsuit that could destroy everything they’ve worked so hard to preserve, mother and daughter prepare to fight back. But with devastation wrought by the Luftwaffe’s local blitz terrorizing the skies, battling bookshops—and Amos and Charlotte—must put aside their differences and fight together to help Coventry survive.

Dual timelines can be a bit hit-or-miss for me, since generally I'd prefer two full stories rather than two half-stories that have been pushed together, but when the timelines are about the same people, I'm generally confident that the story will mesh well. However, I struggled through this one. 

Normally I don't have a problem keeping track of details from one timeline to the other, but I spent most of the book thinking I missed something. Sometimes an explanation finally came later--and not just a chapter later, but sometimes over half the book later. In the WWII timeline, I would have thought the reason Jacob is suing Charlotte and Eden to be a fairly important detail, but it's chapters after the subject is introduced that we find out for what. And even then, I never understood why Eden was set to inherit (I have an assumption, but if it was actually spelled out, somehow I missed it). So many things introduced in the WWI timeline don't get real explanations--at best, they're briefly glossed over: the broken cello, Gretna Green, the book arrest, why Charlotte married Will after all. And why the rival bookshops?  Why the supposed animosity (that never actually played out on the page)?

The historical detail is well researched, for both timelines. Amos's role as a veterinary sergeant in WWI, the land girls, the bombing of Coventry--all that was excellent. But the story itself left me with more questions than answers. Maybe I'd have struggled less if it were more linear, or if it didn't have Eden's viewpoint; I didn't dislike her chapters, but they seemed superfluous when Amos and Charlotte were clearly the focus and able to carry the story on their own.

Thank you Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for the complimentary e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment