Wednesday, July 18, 2018

"Dead Drift" by Dani Pettrey


Dead Drift (Chesapeake Valor, #4)
Private Investigator Kate Maxwell never stopped loving Luke Gallagher after he disappeared. Now he's back, and together they must unravel a twisting thread of secrets, lies, and betrayal while on the brink of a biological disaster that will shake America to its core. Will they and their love survive, or will Luke and Kate become the terrorist's next target?

The final book of the Chesapeake Valor series is just as fast-paced and suspenseful as I had expected and hoped.

I'm not sure how I feel about the two different cases going on at the same time; part of me was expecting them to intersect somewhere, though it would have been a real stretch to make it work. They are both continued from the previous book, so it was good to reach a conclusion on them, and I enjoyed that we continued to follow more of the group than just Luke and Kate. However, I was drawn a lot more to the mystery of Jenna's killer (since it was so personal to the group, particularly Griffin and Parker) than I was to the terrorist plot, though the terrorist plot was the larger portion of the story.

As disparate as the cases were, they were balanced nicely in the book, with constant progress and danger to keep the reader's attention as it flips between them.

The book makes a great conclusion to the series and gives us more time with the entire gang, but I did enjoy the other books a little more.

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for the complimentary e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Chesapeake Valor
1. Cold Shot
2. Still Life
3. Blind Spot
4. Dead Drift

No comments:

Post a Comment