Friday, May 11, 2018

"The Accidental Guardian" by Mary Connealy - High Sierra Sweethearts, book 1


The Accidental Guardian (High Sierra Sweethearts, #1)Trace Riley has lived on his own in the High Sierras since his wagon train was attacked when he was fifteen. As the unofficial guardian of the trail, it riles his temper to come across another burned-out wagon train. But this time there's a surprise: a pair of grown sisters and the two children they were watching who managed to survive. Deborah Harkness hadn't been able to save anyone else when she crept back to the wagon train, but she got a good look at one bandit's face. As the lone witness to murder, she's in danger if the bandits ever find out. But Trace is willing to lay down his life to keep her (and her sister and their wards) safe.

When battling stress and busyness, sometimes it's nice to relax with an entertaining romantic comedy with cowboys.

As has been the same with I'm pretty sure every Mary Connealy book I've read (and at this point there are a great many of them), I spent a delightful afternoon devouring the story. I enjoyed the new setting--I don't think I've ever read a book set in Nevada before--and the historical tidbits that made their way into the story (like mention of the Donner Party). Maybe it isn't as funny as some of her books, but the adventure is there, and the voice is unquestionably the author's own.

I enjoyed that it's pretty easy to see where the series will go from here; it ramps up my anticipation level knowing who the characters are and some notion of the conflict to come. But on the other hand, because it ramps up my anticipation level, it's frustrating to know I have to wait until fall for the next book to come out.

Thank you Bethany House for the free book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

High Sierra Sweethearts
1. The Accidental Guardian
2. The Reluctant Warrior
3. The Unexpected Champion

No comments:

Post a Comment