Monday, May 14, 2018

Rachel Dylan's "Lone Witness"

Lone Witness (Atlanta Justice, #2)Prosecutor Sophie Dawson is the lone witness to a gang-related double-homicide. Though threats against her are escalating, Sophie is more concerned with prosecuting her latest case--an embezzlement case that might be more than it seems.  Private security guard Cooper Knight comes along side to protect her, but as the danger increases, will he be able to keep her safe?

It was interesting seeing yet again different aspects of the justice system; the first book in the series was an eye-opener for me, and this one managed to cover significantly different ground. I really enjoyed the legal aspects of the story--both Sophie's prosecution case and her trial as a witness. I have to say, both cases went in directions I did not anticipate, and that makes it all the more enjoyable for me, though I'd have loved to see more of Sophie in her role as a prosecutor. I also had fun trying to determine if/how the two cases would intertwine (not an uncommon occurrence in a suspense novel).

I thought the Ashley-Patrick dynamic was an interesting one--and more dynamic, actually than the romance between Sophie and Cooper--even though this secondary couple's relationship isn't a romantic one (though I would lay even odds it could go that way). I'd had high hopes for both Cooper and Sophie after the first book, so it was a little disappointing to realize I'd have enjoyed the story just as much or more if there had been no romance at all.

However, it is a solid legal suspense. It would make a great courtroom drama for TV.

Thank you Bethany House for the complimentary book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Atlanta Justice
1. Deadly Proof
2. Lone Witness
3. Breach of Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment