Monday, December 18, 2017

"The Ladies of Ivy Cottage" by Julie Klassen - continuing the tales from Ivy Hill

The Ladies of Ivy Cottage (Tales from Ivy Hill, #2)In the village of Ivy Hill, impoverished gentlewoman Rachel Ashford has moved into Ivy Cottage with her spinster friend Mercy Grove and her aunt. Needing an income, Rachel lets the ladies of Ivy Hill convince her to start a subscription library with her father's massive collection of books. Mercy's heart is for teaching, and she's long given up hope of finding a husband--but now she suddenly has the opportunity to become the official guardian of one of her students, though she's afraid to hope in case it doesn't come true. And at the coaching inn, Jane Bell is finally embracing her role as innkeeper, but she's still searching for healing. As the three ladies embrace a way of life different from their upbringing, will they be willing to embrace hope and find love as well?

In some ways this is very much a middle book of a trilogy--there are a number of things left hanging and it isn't good as a stand-alone. But I was pleased to find some more solid conclusions in this book than even the first, which means it isn't wholly painful to wait another year book three. Just mostly painful (I really want good things for Mercy!). Since I didn't have much for expectations in the way the story would go, I was pleased by the twists and turns the tale took, with some surprising secrets coming to light in the village.

I reread book one before reading this one, and I'm glad I did--I'd forgotten a lot since last year. It certainly added to the experience, being reminded of who the characters are and how far they've come (there really is a lot of character growth between the two books!). How much more will they grow in book three? Plus, this one picks up right where the other leaves off, making it even more like a BBC miniseries period drama. I can only imagine book three will be the same.

I have my personal hopes for a suitor for Mercy, but as I've come to learn from this author, no suitor is guaranteed to win the girl--sometimes her choice is surprising. For instance, I didn't know who would end up with Rachel until she herself finally determined her true love. And I have to say, there are a lot of appealing bachelors in little Ivy Hill to choose from, with all manner of backgrounds and things to recommend them. I really look forward to the conclusion to the series! I think it will be best read as a whole.

Thank you Bethany house for a free book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Tales from Ivy Hill
1. The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill
2. The Ladies of Ivy Cottage
3. The Bride of Ivy Green
3.5 An Ivy Hill Christmas (novella)

No comments:

Post a Comment