Wednesday, November 28, 2018

"The Bride of Ivy Green" by Julie Klassen - Tales from Ivy Hill, book 3

The Bride of Ivy Green (Tales from Ivy Hill, #3)In the final installment of the Tales from Ivy Hill, Mercy Grove is mourning the loss of her girls' school and chafing under the management of her new sister-in-law, and the thought of resigning herself to spinsterhood and becoming a governess doesn't seem so bad . . . though the consequences are not what she'd ever imagined. Her friend Jane Bell is seriously considering marrying Gabriel Locke, even though it means destining another man to a childless marriage. And a secretive dressmaker sets up shop in town, and though the ladies try to befriend her, they soon suspect she isn't who she claims to be. All three have dreams waiting to be fulfilled . . .

At last, all the heroines of Ivy Hill finally attain their dreams, whether having old dreams rebuilt or new ones developed (sometimes in ways I didn't expect). In the first two books it felt like more was at stake, but this one provides the satisfying conclusion to the series that I've been waiting for. (But if you haven't read the first two, I can't imagine this one would be nearly so enjoyable for you, so be sure to read them first!)

I have felt from the beginning of the series that there were too many eligible bachelors to find happiness with the number of heroines in Ivy Hill--uneven numbers, as it were--and, sadly, one of my favorites has yet to be lucky in love. But even in my disappointment over his love life, I do think he's not heart-broken either, having found satisfying love of a different sort than romantic. So at the same time I'm disappointed, but also rather happy with the way the author ended the story for him. Who knows--maybe he'll get his own book someday (that's my hope!).

I enjoyed the new intersections in the lives of the residents of the village, whether by the introduction of new characters like Victorine, or new connections among old. There also were some brief visitors to the village I didn't expect (yes, I recognized that dance master and his pretty wife). The series would make a great television mini series!

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for the complimentary e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Tales from Ivy Hill
1. The Innkeeper of Ivy Hill
2. The Ladies of Ivy Cottage
3. The Bride of Ivy Green
3.5 An Ivy Hill Christmas (novella)

No comments:

Post a Comment