Friday, March 17, 2017

Cara Putman's "Beyond Justice" - an exciting legal thriller

Beyond Justice (Hidden Justice #1)After yet another brilliant win in the courtroom, Hayden McCarthy is handed the case that could make or break her law career. But nothing is adding up about this case, and the partners of the law firm are acting erratically at best over it. With some creative help from her roommate and Emilie's distracting cousin Andrew, she keeps the case alive. But someone out there wants this case shut down, and they're not above violence to do it.

I always enjoy learning something new in a book, though in this case, it was how little I actually know and understand about lawyers. I definitely didn't understand all the terms for parts of the legal process, but it didn't really dampen my enjoyment of the novel; it was clear when things were going well for Hayden and when they weren't. When she was pushing for a particular meeting, I rooted for her, and when she was being stonewalled, I felt her frustration. So even if you don't understand legalese, it's a good story.

I liked how the author brings social justice to the forefront, raising awareness about illegal immigration, but in aspects of it that I've never thought of before--namely, the juveniles who cross the border and get caught. What happens to kids who are caught? How are they treated? How are they reconnected with their families? Do the children receive justice? Though many of these questions aren't answered, it's a big step that they are even being asked.

The prequel novella didn't thrill me, but the author nailed this book. The suspense, investigative work, and various threats to both Hayden and Andrew, as well as friendships and romance, are all woven skillfully together in a story that's hard to put down. This perfectly fit the bill of the legal thriller I was looking for.

Thank you Thomas Nelson and NetGalley for providing a free e-book. No review, positive or otherwise, was required, and all opinions are my own.

Hidden Justice
0.5: Dying for Love
1. Beyond Justice
2. Imperfect Justice
3. Delayed Justice
4. Forbidden Justice (2019)

No comments:

Post a Comment