Friday, February 24, 2017

Lynette Eason's "Moving Target" - like The Most Dangerous Game

Moving Target #3   -     By: Lynette Eason
In the third of the Elite Guardian novels, bodyguard Maddy McKaye and Detective Quinn Holcombe are abducted shortly before Quinn's birthday party and wake up on an island, where their host takes pleasure in hunting the most dangerous game--humans. Can they outwit the killer and catch him before he catches up with them?

While it cannot be said I remember every book I've ever read, there is one chilling short story from high school that I'll never forget: "The Most Dangerous Game," by Richard Connell. Moving Target takes the basic concept of that story and brings it into the modern era, but in a twisted game rigged against the prey.

I kind of wish the time on the island had lasted longer--survivalist stories are always so thrilling. However, the suspense holds throughout the story; that's one thing that I can always depend on in an Eason book--non-stop action and suspense. I do wish Maddy had been a bit wiser in some of her choices a couple times in the book; given her background in law enforcement, I would have expected a more sensible course of action, especially when her gut is warning her that something is off. In her place, I'd have been paranoid and suspicious of everyone with ties to the case.

Both Maddy and Quinn are dealing with baggage (similar enough that I wanted to bash their heads together a couple times--clear case of the pot and kettle), but it's nice to see them make progress throughout the book and develop a greater understanding of God. They aren't my favorite couple of the series, but when the chips are down, they work well together.

Thank you Revell and NetGalley for providing a free e-book. No review, positive or otherwise, was required, and all opinions are my own.

Elite Guardians
1. Always Watching
2. Without Warning
3. Moving Target
4. Chasing Secrets

No comments:

Post a Comment