Wednesday, September 29, 2021

"A Midnight Dance" by Joanna Davison Politano

All theater romances are tragedies. Ella Blythe knows this. Still, she cannot help but hope her own story may turn out different than most--and certainly different than the tragic story of the Ghost of Craven Street Theater. Yet as she struggles to maintain her tenuous place in the ever-shrinking ballet company, win the attentions of principal dancer Philippe, and avoid company flirt Jack, Ella cannot deny the uncanny feeling that her life is mirroring that of the dead ballerina. Is she dancing ever closer to the edge of her own tragic end? Or will the secrets that are about to come to light offer release from the past?

This was definitely my favorite of the author's books so far--I loved the romance, as well as Ella's personal journey. I could easily relate with her: she's doing what she loves (dancing), but somewhere along the line, joy has become second to the work of being the best she can be (and when one loses joy, that leads to burnout, even--or especially--when doing something that one loves). 

This is book I'd read again just to catch all the foreshadowing and hints I missed before the big reveal in the end. Again, I loved the romance--just something about it struck the right chord in me, though it is definitely second in prominence to Ella's personal journey and the search for answers about her mother. It was beautifully written and an overall delight.

Thank you Revell and NetGalley for the complimentary e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment