Wednesday, May 6, 2020

"A Mosaic of Wings" by Kimberly Duffy

A Mosaic of WingsDetermined to uphold her father's legacy, newly graduated Nora Shipley joins an entomology research expedition to India to prove herself in the field. In this spellbinding new land, Nora is faced with impossible choices--between saving a young Indian girl and saving her career, and between what she's always thought she wanted and the man she's come to love.

If you're a fan of Elizabeth Camden's books, give this one a try! Like Camden's historical novels, it features a strong heroine of an uncommon profession making her way in a man's world. Between the sexism she faces and a challenging home life, Nora could be a bit abrasive at times, particularly in defending herself as a female scientist, but her ability to stand up to opposition gives her the ability to do what's right when others would look away and do nothing. Owen's just a darling, wanting to push her to be the best she can be, both as a scientist and a human with a beating heart.

While etymology isn't my favorite subset of biology (botany is more my thing), I've spent my share of hours chasing lepidoptera, albeit with a camera, not a kill jar. Besides which, my mother has always been quite fascinated with insects, so some knowledge and appreciation has rubbed off. The descriptions of the insect life were well-written, and I was completely immersed in the heady Indian setting--from the sounds of the jungle to the aromas of the the food to the heat and humidity and the unpleasantly ripe bodies of Nora's masculine colleagues. The descriptions of the food left me with cravings for cardamom. I'll gladly read another novel by this author!

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for the complimentary e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

(from my own butterfly hunts--a Painted Lady)

No comments:

Post a Comment