Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Brandon Sanderson's "Skyward"

Skyward (Skyward, #1)Spensa's world has been under attack for decades. Pilots are now the heroes of what's left of the human race, and becoming one has always been Spensa's dream. Since she was a little girl, she has imagined soaring skyward and proving her bravery. But her fate is intertwined with that of her father's—a pilot himself who was killed years ago when he abruptly deserted his team, leaving Spensa the daughter of a coward, her chances of attending Flight School slim to none. No one will let Spensa forget what her father did, yet fate works in mysterious ways. Flight school might be a long shot, but she is determined to fly. And an accidental discovery in a long-forgotten cavern might just provide her with a way to claim the stars.

I'm much more of a fantasy person than sci-fi, but really, who doesn't love Star Wars? So occasionally a space opera sounds like fun, and I figured a young adult one by Brandon Sanderson was worth a read. And I was supremely pleased I did!

I don't generally care for the spunky, bad-attitude-type heroines, especially those who are exceptionally defiant (as it were*), but Spensa surprised me. She made me laugh. And she might have a bad attitude and definitely wants to stick it to the man, but she isn't stupid about it. For someone as reckless as she is, she's actually got a fair amount of sense and a sense of honor. Ultimately, she's a well-rounded, complex individual, and I ended up really liking her. And I liked that she learned to see past her flight-mates' masks and recognize what was inside each of them, even (or especially) Jerk-Face.

One thing I can count on with a Brandon Sanderson novel is that things are rarely as they seem, and I am pleased to announce that this is yet again the case, in a way that is exciting, a bit heart-breaking, and far out of the realm of possibilities I had considered. It's clean, thrilling, and a delight. I'm glad there is a sequel!

*inside joke for those who've read the book

Skyward
1. Skyward
2. Starsight

No comments:

Post a Comment