Wednesday, January 22, 2020

"An Uncommon Woman" by Laura Frantz

An Uncommon WomanBorn and bred on the western Virginia frontier along with her five brothers, plainspoken Tessa Swan is a force to be reckoned with. Raised by Lenape Indians, Clay Tygart returns a hero from the French and Indian War to the fort that bears his name, bringing with him Tessa's long-lost friend, Keturah, a redeemed Indian captive like himself. Determined to avoid any romantic entanglements as fort commander, Clay remains aloof whenever he encounters Tessa, yet the ties between him and Keturah--greater than he realizes--brings him into frequent contact with the frontierswoman, and ultimately draws her into danger because of that tie.

There are few authors who can evoke Colonial era America like Laura Frantz. The hardship of frontier life, the starkness of the forts, the strain between the native tribes and the ever-encroaching whites--all is classic Frantz. I especially liked how she wove in the complexity of captives who are returned to the white world (some with greater "success" than others).

Tessa is marvelous--both practical and feminine, tough yet tenderhearted. And her great aunt Hester is a hoot (and tough as nails). I still not sure I know Clay as well as I should, even at the end. He's admirable for sure, and I loved the constant tug of war between his Lenape upbringing and current white life (classic third culture kid--part of both worlds yet at home in neither), but something feels incomplete. Maybe I just needed him to have a confrontation with either his Lenape family or the Quaker relations--someone to bring it all out and lead to greater healing.

Most of the promised action doesn't occur until quite late in the story (odd, given that book descriptions typically avoid spoiling details past page 100), so the first two thirds felt a bit slow, given what the book blurb led me to expect. I wish there had been more during and after the captivity, but I wouldn't necessarily have shortened the earlier portion for it. This book fits in well with Frantz's earlier works (my favorites).

Thank you Revell for a complimentary book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment