Wednesday, April 18, 2018

"Then There Was You" by Kara Isaac

Then There Was YouUpon seeing her dead-end relationship for what it is, cautious Paige McAllister throws caution to the wind and flies off to Australia for a year to build up her resume. The job she finds will look great and offer a challenge, but Paige's previous experience with the hypocrisy and corruption of a mega church mean she's keeping an eye out for more of the same. Josh Tyler, world-famous worship leader, has suffered from disastrous relationships before, and he has no intention of involving himself with the American working in the office. But when Josh and Paige are thrown together to organize his next tour, Josh discovers that she isn't what he thought--and Paige learns he may not be the arrogant jerk he seemed. But is it enough to build a relationship on, or are their differences too great?

I have to admit, it wasn't the description that convinced me to read this book. I read it on the strength of the author's other two novels, which, being themed on the Inklings, were more my thing than a mega church and famous worship band leader (I am a small-town girl, and I can recognize my prejudices). But I'm glad I did read it. I thought the author dealt with the mega church well, showing where such things can go wrong, but also demonstrating what good such an institution can do when their focus is where it needs to be--on Jesus. The struggles of the church were very real, and really, the same as any small church--just on a much grander and more public scale. It doesn't leave me wanting to trade in my small-town church, but it does give me a better understanding of how a mega church works.

And, as I anticipated (having experienced the author's other two novels), this one still captured her trademark humor--cute, romantic comedy-esque scenes, to make the reader smile--before hitting the reader upside the head with raw emotion and significant depth. Believe me, the story packs an emotional punch, and this coming from someone who has lived a relatively safe and sheltered life; I can only imagine how it would affect me if I'd been through anything like Paige.

I love how the author balances the story so that it's light yet deeply meaningful, uplifting yet impacting at the same time. It's a well-crafted story.


*Only complaint: I think pregnant Emily should have been compared to Violet Beauregarde rather than Veruca Salt (pg. 45), as Violet is the one who expands into a giant blueberry. Unless there is another Veruca Salt that I don't know about.

No comments:

Post a Comment