Friday, March 30, 2018

"The Pirate Bride" by Kathleen Y'Barbo

The Pirate Bride (Daughters of the Mayflower #2)When 12-year-old Maribel Cordova's father is killed when their ship is taken by privateers, she embraces life with the privateers, until she ends up entrusted to an island convent. Years later, an emissary from her family arrives, seeking to reunite her with her mother in New Orleans. But not all is right in New Orleans, and the reappearance of a certain privateer from her youth

There are very few pirate--I mean, privateering--novels in the Christian market, so this was a fun change-up. It reminded me of (and made me want to reread) such swashbuckling classics as Captain Blood and The Black Swan by Rafael Sabatini. I enjoyed Maribel's precocious nature and love of books and high places (having frequently partaken of such pleasures myself, in my youth).

I was surprised by a number of turns the story took. I should have seen the romance coming sooner (more careful attention to the book blurb would have done that for me), but other twists were genuinely surprising. I think the story could have benefited from being longer (especially having Maribel and Jean-Luc spend more time together as adults, as that would make the romance a little more believable), but it's a fun romp.

Thank you Barbour and NetGalley for the free e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Daughters of the Mayflower
1. The Mayflower Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse
2. The Pirate Bride by Kathleen Y'Barbo
3. The Captured Bride by Michelle Griep
4. The Patriot Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse
5. The Cumberland Bride by Shannon McNear
6. The Liberty Bride by MaryLu Tyndall

No comments:

Post a Comment