Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Irene Hannon's "Dangerous Illusions" - a diabolically clever twist

Dangerous Illusions (Code of Honor #1)When Trish Bailey's mother dies from what looks like could be a pill overdose--possibly due to Trish's memory lapses--Trish falls under police scrutiny. Detective Colin Flynn's gut says she's innocent of deliberate wrongdoing, but as time goes on, strange inconsistencies begin adding up to something more sinister than Trish and Colin could have possibly guessed.

For me, Irene Hannon's villains are the highlight of her suspense novels, and this might be her cleverest twist yet on a villain--a twist that I did not see coming. There's very little I can say about our most clever and diabolical villain without spoiling the brilliance for everyone else, so suffice to say, he's good and supremely well-developed. The author is brilliant for creating him.

The backcover copy of the book describes it as "a mind-bending story that will have [the reader] doubling back to retrace their steps--and figure out what they missed!" While I would normally consider this exaggeration, in this case it was actually true for me. And everything I retraced made total sense.

Based on the story, I'm assuming the next two books of the series will follow Colin's close friends from their childhood Treehouse Gang, who are--contrary to patterns in previous series--not all in law enforcement. I'm definitely interested to see where their stories go!

Thank you Revell and NetGalley for a free e-book; I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Code of Honor
1. Dangerous Illusions
2. Hidden Peril
3.

No comments:

Post a Comment