Friday, June 23, 2017

Karen Witemeyer's "Heart on the Line" - a romance over the wire

Heart on the Line (Ladies of Harper’s Station, #2)After her father is killed before her eyes, Grace Mallory goes into hiding in the women's colony, Harper's Station, where she continues her job as a telegrapher. Over the months, she strikes up a friendship over the wire with Amos Bledsoe, another telegrapher 150 miles down the line. When a warning comes through that her father's killer has found her, Amos--who has been trying to gather the courage to meet her in person--overhears and takes off for Harper's Station to protect her, even if his stature is less than that of the typical hero. It's up to two telegraphers, a marshal, a Pinkerton agent, and a town full of women to bring a killer to justice.

I'm pretty sure it's because of Karen Witemeyer that several years ago I read the nearly forgotten classic Wired Love, a witty novel not unlike Jane Austen's writing, which became part of the inspiration for this story. The romance over the wire is surprisingly similar to today's relationships begun online--where one must simply take the other at their word they're who they say they are. I love the idea of a secret language between Grace and Amos--being telegraphers, they can communicate whatever they want while no one else can understand their tapping.

I have to say, I adored Amos. Being married to a geek myself--one without the impressive physique so common in fictional heroes--I loved seeing someone more like my husband save the day with his brains and win the heart of fair lady. Amos is well aware of all his physical shortcomings, but he doesn't let them rule him, even when in subtle competition with the Adonis-like Pinkerton agent. It's funny how someone can seem plain and unappealing at first impression, yet the more one gets to know the person, the better looking and more appealing they become.

I love how in this adventure, everyone gets a chance to take part in saving the day--sure, the brawny marshal and Pinkerton have a hand in it, but both Grace and Amos--neither a candidate for Most Likely to Save The Day--have a crucial role in bringing the bad guys to justice. Over all, it's a charming romance and adventure, with both humor and heart.

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for providing a free e-book; I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Ladies of Harper's Station
1. No Other Will Do
1.5: "Worth the Wait" - found in the All My Tomorrows novella collection
2. Heart on the Line
2.5 "The Love Knot" - found in the Hearts Entwined novella collection

1 comment:

  1. I liked Amos a lot, too. :) I laughed at the comments about your "geek" hubby. HAHA

    ReplyDelete