Wednesday, March 13, 2024

A Noble Scheme by Roseanna M White - The Imposters, book 2

Gemma Parks is known throughout high society as G. M. Parker, a columnist renowned for her commentary on the cream of society. Behind the scenes, she uses her talent to aid the Imposters in their investigations by gathering intel at events and providing alibis for the elite firm's members through her columns. Yet her clandestine work would be more exhilarating if it weren't for the constant presence of the gentleman who broke her heart. Graham Wharton has never had eyes for anyone but Gemma, and she left his soul in tatters when she walked away from him. When the Imposters take on a new job to recover a kidnapped boy mistaken for his aristocratic cousin, Graham is determined to use the time with Gemma not only to restore the missing boy, but also to win back the only woman he's ever loved. As they trace the clues laid out before them, Graham must devise a noble scheme to save the boy's life and heal their hearts.

The imposters have a twisty case this time. 

Up until the big reveal of what caused the massive rift between Gemma and Graham (a third to halfway through the book), I was pretty frustrated with that aspect of the story; Gemma is downright cruel to Graham at times and absolutely refuses to listen or forgive him. It just seemed so petty and beyond reasonable for a pair who has known each other forever. But I will say, the actual reason for the rift (which I did not see coming) is one of the few things that I can believe to drive someone to that place. Fair? No; but very understandable. I could absolutely see myself acting in a similar way given the circumstances. From that point on, I was much more invested in their relationship and could find significantly more grace for Gemma.

It was not only the backstory but also the case that didn't go in the direction I expected, which I really liked in this instance. Even if it's not one of my favorites by the author, it still was a very impactful story (I could have done without quite so many interjections of "lion feathers" and "leopard stripes", though).

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for the complimentary e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

The Imposters
1. A Beautiful Disguise
2. A Noble Scheme

No comments:

Post a Comment