Wednesday, August 14, 2019

"The Killing Tide" by Dani Pettrey---Coastal Guardians, book 1

The Killing Tide (Coastal Guardians, #1)When one Coast Guard officer is found dead and another goes missing, Coast Guard Investigative Service special agent Finn Walker faces his most dangerous crime yet. When investigative reporter--and Finn's boss's sister--Gabby Rowley arrives, her unrelenting questions complicate an already volatile situation. Now that she's back, the tug on Finn's heart is strong, but with the risks she's taking for her next big story, he fears she might not live through it.

This is one action-packed story! From bullets and knives to snakes and sharks to explosions and drownings, this book might just have it all. I enjoyed how the author wove together multiple cases within CGIS, as well as including the drug lord who's after Gabby. It could be a little confusing at times, but it all came together for a memorable climax. Looking back, there were clues to the identity of the Big Bad, but I never had a chance at guessing who it was (granted, I also drew a blank when the name was revealed, and it took until some more context was meted out to place precisely who it was).

Fictional investigative reporters tend to have a reputation for putting the story first, above relationships and common sense and courtesy, and Gabby fits the mold pretty well . . . I'd hoped for something a little different, but I did like that Gabby and Finn already had a relationship to build off of. I actually ended up liking a lot of the secondary characters better than the main couple, especially with all those dangling threads lurking in there to hook one into their stories. I'm guessing--based on the author's pattern in previous series--that they'll be the stars of future books, which gives me something to look forward to--I really enjoyed the crew, particularly Rissi and Evelyne.

Thank you Bethany House and NetGalley for the complimentary ARC. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Coastal Guardians
1. The Killing Tide
3. The Deadly Shallows

No comments:

Post a Comment