Wednesday, February 13, 2019

"The Sky Above Us" by Sarah Sundin---Sunrise at Normandy, book 2

The Sky Above Us (Sunrise at Normandy, #2)When she arrived overseas, American Red Cross volunteer Violet Lindstrom expected to be helping the British evacuee children, not serving coffee to uncouth airmen. But as she gets to know Lt Adler Paxton, one of the pilots, she learns not all airmen are so bad. Adler knows just how bad airmen are, and that he's the worst of the lot, carrying weighty secrets of guilt and grief. But he finds himself drawn to Violet, even as she keeps pushing him to reconnect with his family. As D-Day draws near, they become close, but Adler will be forced to face his past--and the most fearsome battle of his life.

5 stars! I have enjoyed all of Sarah Sundin's books, and I've felt for a while that her books get better and better with each new series, but this series is something special; the way that the brothers were separated and how they are coming back together on the battlefield is spectacular. And as much as I enjoyed the previous book, I think I like this one even more. Granted, I ran out of extra stars long ago, so you can't tell by the rating . . .

I almost felt differently. The moment Adler decided to buck the rules and prove himself a flying ace, I snapped the book shut (not that I intended to quit the book before finishing; I just had a strong suspicion nothing good could come of his choice, and I had to brace myself). But instead of the beginning of a downward spiral, it proved to be the moment of change for Adler's character. Instead of his pride being a constant source of frustration the rest of the book, he humbles himself and seeks to be the best in the position he's in, not the position he wants. Yes, he still battles pride, but it doesn't control him. From that point on, I absolutely loved him as a hero. In my opinion, that change had more strength happening as early as it did--for once, we get to see the hero live out his resolution, even when it's really difficult and he'd like to give up.

I personally really liked Violet--she's a good girl, trying to do the right thing, and trying to make the most of a situation that she would not have knowingly chosen. She isn't perfect. But she tries hard, and even when she makes mistakes, she can own up to them. Maybe she's less detrimentally flawed than a lot of heroines these days, but to me she seemed normal--a person you could actually know, living right down the street, without a severely traumatic past. And hooray for tall heroines!

I loved the supporting characters in this book (they're fun AND supportive--the best sorts of friends for the main characters). The book packs a wallop of spiritual truths, particularly on the theme of forgiveness--a theme I expect to be continued through the next book.

Thank you, Revell and NetGalley, for the free e-book. I was not required to write a positive review, and all opinions are my own.

Sunrise at Normandy
1. The Sea Before Us
2. The Sky Above Us
3. The Land Beneath Us

No comments:

Post a Comment